Monday, September 5, 2011

Was A Library Once,...


This is a detail of the building now called the "Veterans Park Community Center" in Redondo Beach, California. It was built in 1930 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Today it is permanently leased to some outfit that rents it for meetings and weddings and such, but when I was a lad it served as the Redondo Beach Public Library. What a wonderful library it was, richly adorned inside with golden-brown hardwoods.

It was here I got to know Tarzan, Quatermain, Hornblower and Bond,...James Bond.

Fond memories!

I shot this image with my Voigtlander Bessa. The Bessa uses 120 format roll film and gives you 8 negatives that are 6 x 9 cm in size.(About the size of a playing card--maybe a bit smaller.) Judging by the serial numbers on the camera's shutter and lens, I believe my Bessa was built circa 1938.

For this image I used expired Kodak BW400CN film. This is a black & white film designed to be processed in color chemicals (C41 process). I "cross-processed" the film in Rodinal (actually R09 One Shot), diluted 1:100, and left it to stand for one hour.

As you can see, the image has imperfections along the edges. Based on some posts I read in the Rodinal group on Flickr, it appears my agitation technique during processing may have been too vigorous. Nevertheless, I quite like the picture.

If you'd like to see another shot of the building, go here:

http://www.realphotographersforum.com/threads/2053-Taken-with-my-Voigtlander-Bessa-I.

No comments:

Post a Comment