Sunday, October 2, 2011

Zoetrope


This is the zoetrope at the California Museum of Photography in Riverside, California. (Its the black cylindrical object in the left foreground.)

By the way, a zoetrope is a device with a series of vertical slits in its wall and on the inside wall there are a series of still photos. When you spin the zoetrope and look into the slits you see the illusion of motion pictures.

I took this shot on January 31, 2010, using my Canon T50 and Canon FD 28mm lens. I believe I used Kodak Gold 200 film.

The result was unexpected. Moments before setting up and taking the shot I had been investigating the zoetrope, and in fact it was still spinning when I actually took the picture.

Only after I got the film developed did I see that I had captured a series of stills from the inside of the zoetrope. (They are a set of the famous images by Eadweard Muybridge, "Horse in Motion.")

No comments:

Post a Comment